11.12.2010

Christmas Music

The longer I take to write this post, the more Christmas music I hear.  For some reason, my Contemporary Folk Music shuffle list contains much of my Christmas music.  Weird.  Anyway, there's nothing like a couple of random Christmas songs popping into my itunes mix to put me a in chipper mood.  I was already in a good mood because today was great.  Aside from the first half of yesterday, it was a great week, so I can't complain.  Here's the lowdown:

I don't remember much from Tuesday...  pretty unremarkable,  I guess.  Good lunch, I do remember that, though I don't remember what we ate.  I discovered the grocery store down the street from me that was being remodeled has now opened and boy did I take full advantage.  Almost $12 and two heaping bags of groceries later, I was in business.  The food I cook here is super random and doesn't really make sense to explain, but rest assure that I'm eating.  I doubt you were worried :)

Wednesday was awesome.  First.  I found out my friend Jill is visiting me in January!!!!!!!  I finally got a straight (ish) answer from Mr. Shin about winter English camp and Jill got the dates for when she has to report to her new fancy job with the Air Force, so our Asian Adventure travel plans are sort of set, more than they previously were, anyway.  Now, we're trying to plan a short side trip to Vietnam to visit a friend from high school (hopefully) or Thailand (as a backup plan in case Vietnam doesn't work out).  Sooooo jazzed!  I also found out that Baby Plueger is a boy.  Hooray!  Now I know what color to buy (or which colors NOT to buy) when I spoil the little tyke.  He better put his reading glasses on because many books are coming his way.  My lessons went well on Wednesday too.  Most days, even if my lessons are lame, I really enjoy my students and their adorable personalities.  

Yesterday morning, I was in a bit of a funk.  I messed up in Morning English a couple of times, and had terrible reception to my morning lessons when I expected them to be eating out of the palm of my hand.  I have come to realize which classes I will come away from in a bad mood, but these classes were a bit of a surprise.  I don't like those kinds of surprises.  Then, just as I was descending into the pits of frustration, I talked to two pals from home via Facebook chat AND had an awesome lunch.  Both of these things put me on the right side of the day and from then on, I was unsinkable.  Lunch was seconds worthy (duk boki!!!) and the afternoon went MUCH more smoothly. 

When lunch time rolled around today, I was pretty hungry, so when the smell of fish wafted my way in the lunch line, disappointment fell across my face.  I love fish.  Correction: I love Bob's fish.  The fish here comes with bones (and sometimes bodies) included and the way it smells makes me think it would be better to just be hungry.  So, when I approached the food and saw my favorite kimchi, marinated tofu, odang (fishcake) and the traditional odang soup (which is basically water and onions, but somehow, it tastes SOOO good!), I was so relieved to find the makings of an awesome lunch.  Also, the lunch lady randomly served me the odang and soup.  You rarely see the lunch ladies unless they are refilling the food, but one woman stayed behind and actually served me my food.  It was kind of awkward, but I appreciated the gesture.  She was a sweet woman.  This just added to goodness and excitement of the unexpectedly tasty lunch.  I do like these kinds of surprises.

The last 40 minutes of school today were bonkers.  Right in the middle of playing the review game with an awesome group of second years, the bell rang.  To end class.  Twenty minutes early.  For a teachers meeting.  That we didn't know about.  Later, I was approached by a couple of worried second years who hurriedly asked to borrow a black marker and a ruler.  I have no idea what they were for, but I obliged.  It seemed like a real big deal.  I still don't know what the deal was, but I encountered a similar situation in Dionne's office minutes later.  She was a better boy scout than me.  She had three black markers whereas I only had one.  A few minutes later, I had the following exchange with Mr. Shin and Hyunjoo:

Hyunjoo: Oh.  Noelle.  Have you heard about Monday?
Noelle: ...Yes.  I only teach the first half of the day.
Hyunjoo:  And then, I think you and Dionne are gonna interview new students.
Noelle: WHAAA?  For real?  Are you serious?
Mr. Shin: Yes.  Monday.
Hyunjoo: We talk about it and decide you do good job.
Noelle: Uh...Ok.  Do I need to prepare questions?
Mr. Shin: No, no. (waving hands) You just sit and speak.  We give you questions.
Noelle: (breathes serious sigh of relief) Oh. Nice.
Mr. Shin: Then you go home early Wednesday.  And, no school for you Thursday.  Give you nice break.
Noelle: (literally) SWEEET!  I mean, that sounds good.

I was real baffled at the idea that I had a role in the selection of new students.  Like, my class counts for 5% of one of their core classes, but they'll let me interview future students?  What kind of sense does that make?  Then, I realized that I was just the messenger of the English language, the token foreigner.  Thank God there will be a member of the (Korean) English faculty on hand to do the real work.  This was almost too much pressure for me!

Then, back in my office, I had the following exchange with my pal and star student, the Principal:

Principal: (frantically waving goodbye to me) See you Monday Noelle Teacher!
Noelle: Yes, yes.  See you Monday.  Have a nice weekend.
Principal: Nice weekend.  Yes.  You too.  You know about next week?  
Noelle: Yes.  Monday and Wednesday, half days and no school on Thursday. 
Principal: Who say you?  (shakes head) Who tell you? (bewildered look) Which is correct?
Noelle: Who TOLD you?
Principal: Who tell you?
Noelle: Mr. Shin and Hyunjoo.
Principal: Ah. yes.   Easy week for Noelle Teacher.
Korean teacher who is listening to our conversation: Easy week for you.  Hard week for me.  I stand all day.

Then, I felt guilty.  Sort of.

Then, on my walk home, two middle school students approached me:

Student 1: Hello Teacher!
Noelle: Hi!  I like your ear muffs.
Students 2: What about this? (points to her BRIGHT RED scarf that is so thick it almost covers her face)
Noelle: Beautiful.  It looks wa-! (I got cut off in the middle of the word warm)
Student 1: You are beautiful.  (both students violently giggle)
Noelle: Oh. Thank you!
Students: Ok.  Bye.  (both students furiously wave)
The students follow close behind me with two other students who joined them.
Student 2: Oh Teacher.  Shoes.  Cute.
Noelle: Thanks!
Student 1: PINK.  You. (points me up and down) Fashionista.
Noelle: Whoa.  Thank you!

Then, the toothless ajumma who goes through my garbage started yelling in my direction after I said hello to her.  The middle school girls tried to translate what she was saying to me, which amounted to telling me that Toni (my neighbor) wasn't parked in her usual spot.  I'm not sure why she wanted to tell me that so badly, but she was real animated in trying to relay this impossibly important message to me.  I guess I'm a little flattered that she wanted to talk to me though...

Off to shave my legs.  Sorry, Heather.  No Shave November doesn't fly with the fish pedicure lady who will have to rinse my legs tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad...I currently am sporting Candy Cane stripes which I'm sure comes as no surprise.

    ReplyDelete