11.25.2010

Just Another Thursday....

If I had been in America today, I would likely be in Texas with my parents, aunt, uncles and cousin preparing a feast and enjoying the company.  But, since I'm in Korea, today was just another day.

I tried to explain what we eat for Thanksgiving during Morning English.  After a perplexed expression on Chan Yang's face when I described a traditional Thanksgiving menu, I resorted to calling a turkey a very large chicken, and stuffing soggy-ish baked bread and other spices, traditionally cooked inside the turkey.  I'm pretty sure I didn't leave their mouths watering...

Today was the Vice Principal's birthday, so there were two cakes on which to munch during the day and many random song sessions.  He is such a jolly man with a smile often planted from ear to ear (except when he studies English in my class, when his face is very determined).  One of the other teachers took this opportunity to snap several pictures, including one of the Vice Principal, her and me holding up the requisite peace signs.  I hope she e-mails it to me...it's a classic!  As I was leaving school, I had the following exchange:

Vice Principal: Good job today! (in reference to interviews, which are touched upon later in this post)
Noelle: Thanks!  Happy Birthday, again.  Do you have any big plans for tonight?
Vice Principal: No big plan.  Small plan.
(holds up thumb and index finger to indicate a small size - and giggles)

During lunch, a gospel band who played at the academic high school's chapel service joined us.  They were from a nearby arts university and I heard their show was AWESOME.  One brave soul, a very cute boy adorned in khakis and a bow tie, sat by all of the foreign teachers.  He reveled in the chance to show off his English skills.  He even sang us some Jason Mraz.  He was quite a character and he really livened up an already delightful lunch crew.

I gave the same exam all day long and by the end of the day, I had grown tired of the pictures I had selected for the exam.  I am so glad I finished testing the first years today so that I only have one exam (for second years) left tomorrow.  For the last class of the day, who I tested yesterday, I prepared a culture lesson.  I taught them how to do four very American line dances - the Cupid Shuffle, the Cha Cha Slide, the Macarena, and the Electric Slide.  I am so upset with myself for not having my camera with me.  The girls were soooo cute and funny as they perfected their line dancing skills.  I thought maybe they would think the lesson was lame, but they kept asking for more.  I love it when a lesson goes like that.

After school, Dionne and I interviewed two students who are applying to study abroad in Australia next year.  Both students were excellent candidates and it was fun to hear them talk about their strengths and what they hope to glean from their experience.  We have some determined young women in our school and it is refreshing to listen to their ideas, hopes and plans for the future.

As Thanksgiving Day nears its end in Korean time, and I eat my dinner of sauteed tofu in mustard sauce and seaweed wrapped rice, I am taking time to reflect on the many things for which I am thankful, including but not limited to:
  • an amazing family, both nuclear and extended - being this far away is hard, but weekly skype dates, heartwarming snail mail and e-mail updates make it feel like the distance is much smaller.  Your continued interest and support in this Korean adventure means the world to me and not a day passes that I don't remind myself of how lucky I am to have you all cheering me on, stateside.
  • loyal friends - being away from all of you is also real tough, but, like my family, you've been far more diligent about keeping in touch that I could have hoped for in my wildest dreams.  Random pieces of mail, e-mails, and FB communications  serve as a reminder of how lucky I am to have surrounded myself with some of the best friends a gal could ask for.
  • a great school / job environment - accepting a job halfway around the world with little to no information about what's awaiting you is scary, but I think it's safe to say that I've hit the jackpot.  I couldn't ask for a better teaching environment, better students (I only have two consistent problems out of 277 students - pretty sweet odds!), and great fellow teachers.  Literally, the only frustrations I have are a result of cultural differences, which would be present at any and all schools, and the frustrations are so minute that they don't even count...
  • the wonderful people I have met thus far - I have been quite fortunate to find great people with whom to spend time.  I think they are a huge reason for my continued comfort and ease in being here.
  • a clear head - since my arrival in Korea, many things have come to make very clear sense to me.  Thanks to extensive soul searching, I have come closer to figuring out who I am. Though it's a lifelong process, it's nice to have an idea who I am and feel good about it.  Clear thinking can be such a relief.
  • technology - whether it's skype, my ipod, cell phone, computer, internet, public transportation, or ATM machines, the comfort I experience on a daily basis is directly related to modern technology.  I hate to think that I am dependent on technologies to be comfortable, or even function, but without these simple machines and applications, being here would be much more of a trial than it is.

This short list doesn't begin to represent everything for which I am thankful, but I hit the biggies, so I feel it's sufficient.  Here's hoping that your Thanksgiving is full of cherished moments and memories, good food, good company,and the start to a wonderful holiday season.  I miss you all and think of you often!

No comments:

Post a Comment