1.04.2012

Hello, 2012.


In an effort to further put off doing the dishes (a task I absolutely loathe), here I am, posting pictures from a delightfully low-key New Year's Eve with some of my best gal pals.

We started our afternoon by combing Gwangju for fireworks.  The man who runs the costume shop in town is soooo funny, and festive, and certainly came through in the fireworks department.  I've heard he can be cranky, but I've never seen that side of him.  How can you run a holiday / costume / pyrotechnics shop and be a miser?  I think he's delightful.

Next, we made a real sweet three layer funfetti cake with green tea vanilla frosting and fresh strawberries.  YUM.  Somehow, Korea's strawberries are 100% flavorful 100% of the time.  I don't understand, but I'm certainly not complaining - those things are too delicious to worry about why they are as such.

Then, at the stroke of 11:45ish, we ventured down to the shallow creek (that sometimes transforms to a river...) that separates our 'hood from the rest of the Gwangj.  We stood in the middle of the (frozen) creek, lighting off fireworks and dancing around with sparklers.  For a good hour and a half.  (That's how many fireworks and sparklers we bought!)  It was so, so fun and oddly refreshing (and maybe invigorating too) to be outside in the crisp air with sparkly fire in the wee hours of the morning with some of my favorite Korea pals.  I think we should do it again.

Then, we hightailed it back to the warmth of Miss Desiree's apartment to eat our cake and drink some wine.  This is my favorite kind of New Year's Eve celebration, especially if it involves wearing sweatpants.

No comments:

Post a Comment