4.06.2011

Dangerous Rain

Behold, a few recent stories from my lovely students:

We were playing a dice game in one of my first year classes in which rolling a one meant that you lost 10 points.  On their first roll, the first team rolled a one, earning their team no points.  The girl who rolled the die, without thinking, exclaimed, "Shit!"  Immediately we locked eyes with bewildered looks on our faces.  If I were a different sort of teacher, she would have gotten a death look (you know...THE LOOK), perhaps followed by a sharp reprimand.  But, I'm me, so, trying desperately not to laugh, I said, with a huge smile on my face, "Shh, shh.  It's okay.  Just don't say it anymore!"  What could I do?  I was pretty impressed that she used it in the correct context... 

First, let me preface this story by saying that this is nothing to worry about, whatsoever.  Trust me.  I just thought it was cute and funny.   After our after school classes were finished, Dionne and I went to our respective offices to pack up for the day before leaving school together.  Wouldn't you know a story was about to unfold:
(I didn't hear this part, but Dionne re-enacted it minutes later.)
Student: Teacher!  Tomorrow, bring umbrella!  Bad rain.
Dionne:  Bad rain?
S: Dangerous rain.
D: What?
S: Tomorrow, it rain.  (Complete with really dramatic charades) You die.
D:  Really?  Why?
S: Japan rain!
D: Oh... radiation!
After packing up my bag and saying goodbye to the few teachers left in my office, I walked across the hall to Dionne's office. 
Student: Teacher!  Tomorrow. Dangerous rain!  Bring umbrella!!!
Noelle: Really?  Why?
S: (with a very proud look on her face) Radiation rain!
Here are some pictures that a teacher e-mailed me today from last week's trip to Lotte World:

Dionne and I with the head of the English Dept., Mr. Shin

With one of my favorite teachers...  She teaches History and is always good for a heartwarming compliment, warm greeting or a laugh.  Love her!

Things here continue to be splendid.  I couldn't ask for a better situation.
More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment