5.24.2011

Open Windows

The weather has been absolutely beautiful these last couple of weeks.  So, at night, while I watch t.v. (The Wire = amazing television, I'm still disappointed that My So-Called Life aired only one season and I just can't quite make myself enjoy Breaking Bad...but I'm still working on it), I've had my bedroom window open.  This sounds pretty dingy (just like the other day when brushing our teeth after lunch, I exclaimed to Dionne, "Gawd.  Brushing my teeth is just so... refreshing!" - pretty profound stuff I'm thinking over here :) ), but having my window open is giving me a whole new impression of my neighborhood.  From the usual neighborhood raucous of dogs barking, horns honking and little kids chattering to the more... shall I say, unique sounds that come from my building (more on that later), I'm almost rediscovering, after nine months, what it's really like to live here. 

If you'll recall from one of my first posts, I live directly above a martial arts studio, which is also above a music academy.  Both business are also avid believers in fresh air, it turns out, because I can hear, quite plainly, what is going on below me.  Some persistent young pianist keep pounding away; sometimes I hear Chopsticks, but mostly the little tyke is perfecting the finale arrangement of Ode to Joy from Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit.  I can't say I mind these musical stylings... in fact, I rather enjoy them :)

A few weeks ago, there was some sort of big concert going on in the park on the other side of the river from my neighborhood.  At the show's finale, they shot off fireworks.  I stood with my head contorted so as to see the fireworks from my open window.  I wasn't the only one of my neighbors to have this idea.  As the fireworks were being shot off, several other spectators in close proximity to me verbally expressed their awe of the colorful bursts in the sky.  There's nothing quite like listening to a Korean be impressed with something.  I don't know how to describe it other than to say I love it.

I've also started opening the windows in my classroom.  Yesterday, I was trying to review for their final exam with a group of particularly restless second graders.  One girl kept craning her neck to look out the window, while raucously waving to someone - probably a boy at the nearby Gwangju Boy's High School.  After telling the girl that she could wave to her boyfriend after school (this didn't faze her...), I was forced to cast a dark shadow over the front right corner of the classroom when I closed the shade.  Sad day.  Not to worry, though.  Homegirl stopped waving to her pseudo-whatever-he-was, and instead, embarked on an epic dry-erase marker fight with her table.  Once I shut that down, she complained to me about the long black streak on her face.  Poor girl - can't wave to her boyfriend and she leaves class with a (literal) black mark.  Never a dull day here folks.  I have to admit that no matter how crazy my students act, I still find them charming and delightful, even if I leave some classes utterly exhausted.  Korea (and more specifically Kyunghwa EB) is making me really appreciate sunlight, open windows and my students' raw energy.  Bring on the raucous.  I. Love. It.

In other news, two (short!) months from yesterday, and I will be home.  Home sweet home.  For almost four whole weeks.  I'm so jazzed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment