5.26.2011

Update Update Update

Last night, Desiree (the new teacher at the middle school) and I ate at a new dok boki restaurant that just opened on our street.  In short, It. Was. Awesome.  We had extra extra taste-the-extra-hot-pepper dok boki, hot hot hot kimbap with melted cheese in the middle (how could THAT be good?) and tempura dumplings and fishcake.  On top of the tasty food, the people who run the restaurant were so so sweet.  Desiree and I decided it was our new hangout place...  To top off the delightful dinner we had, every 10 or so minutes, a student of mine, walking home from school, would see us sitting in the restaurant, stop and stare in the window and once I noticed them, double hand wave like a crazy person.  I love my students.

As I was leaving school yesterday, I noticed about 10 or 15 students jumping rope elementary school style (one HUGE rope, several girls jumping at the same time - I wish I remembered the songs we used to sing during rainy day recess in the gym...) in the vast limestone sports field across from our school.  One girl ran across the street to tell me goodbye and I decided to join their jump rope party.  Boy, did that score some brownie points!  We jumped and jumped and jumped and pretty soon Dionne joined us as well as Chan Yang for a few minutes.  Yesterday afternoon was probably one of my favorite non-classroom interaction times so far.  They were all amazed that we could jump rope like them...  To be honest, I was a little amazed I could still do it too!  :)

Today is the Dongsung Educational Foundation's 36th Founding Year Anniversary Celebration Student Choral Competition (what a name!).  For the entire morning, each homeroom from the first and second grades will sing one Korean song and one English song with their homeroom teacher.  Hyunjoo is the main judge and Dionne and I are the congeniality judges.  (Hyunjoo told us that some of the classes are not as musically talented as others but they worked so so hard, so we are supposed to pick the class with the best energy and unity...  so cute!)  The classes have been practicing for weeks and they even cancelled several of our classes this week for dress rehearsals!

Tomorrow is Sports Day.  All of the (literally) 1000s of students from our three schools and all of the teachers will descend on the limestone field to participate in yard games like jumping rope, three legged races, tug o' war, etc. all day tomorrow.  I've been told team costumes are involved.  I am SO EXCITED for this!  Hopefully I'll be able to properly document the day - I've kind of fallen off the wagon as far as pictures go...  That changes... tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment