5.29.2011

Sports Day

Oh Sports Day.  What a glorious, delightful day, in so many ways. 

First, everybody wears some sort of sporty attire.  The students all dress up in crazy class costumes be they matching t-shirts, crazy hats of some sort, long skirts, etc.  Each homeroom goes online and orders some sort of team uniform - there seemed to be lots of Hawaiian this year - Hawaiian shirts, boards shorts., etc.  There are also, inevitably, Super Soaker water guns involved in every team's uniform.  Awesome. 

A ninja shot of some middle school students - best team outfits of the day, I think.
The teachers also dressed in their casual sports attire, which usually involved a matching pants and jacket getup.  Everyone though, wore their typical school attire (the girls wore their uniforms and most of the teachers wore their suits, etc.) to school and changed into their sports gear after they got to school.  This is something I didn't understand...  I, too, donned my sports attire for the day - blue mesh shorts, a t-shirt and some sneakers.  When I walked into the teachers' office Friday morning, Vice Principal Choi gave me a surprised up and down look and said, "Noelle Teacher.  Good!"

Dionne, MiYoung and me.  MiYoung is one of our coteachers and possibly one of the most adorable 45 year old women I know.  The back of her shirt read MiYoung Princess
SoYoung insisted I come down to her level for this picture - she is delightful.
The morning consisted of four events - six legged race, dodgeball, jumping rope and tug o' war.  In the afternoon, there was a 4x4 relay and awards.  So, the day was spent watching these events, cheering and taking pictures with what seemed like every single student in our school.  Too bad my camera batteries died early on, but I did manage to get some good stuff before that unfortunate situation occurred... 

Some Six-Legged-Race Action...
Dionne and I decided that Sports Day is a good thing - for everyone.  Everyone at our school (and in all of Korea, really) works so so hard ALL THE TIME, so this day of nothing but fun and foolishness was much needed by everyone.  Even though our students' and teachers' vibrant personalities show through in the classroom or office, respectively, it is extra fun to see them be able to let completely loose and have a good, stress-free time.  I. LOVED. IT.

Here's a short video with some Sports Day highlights...

No comments:

Post a Comment