8.28.2012

The Tropical Storm (Formally Know as Typhoon) Tuesday Report


Yesterday, the unthinkable happened.  With a typhoon warning in effect and reports of serious damage when the typhoon made landfall in Okinawa, school was canceled for today.  For the first time in two years.  I was sent home with an armful of newspapers, told to wet them and tape them to all of my windows to protect from broken glass, and to fill my bathtub with water in case something happened with our water supply.  Before all of this, I hadn't thought a bit about the coming typhoon - just brushed it off as an over-reaction.  All of this hoopla freaked me out a little.

It felt a little strange to sleep in today.  And, it felt extra strange not to be at school today, especially after the typhoon was downgraded to a tropical storm late in the morning, which basically meant that there would still be heavy rain and wind but there was less expectation for serious damage.  It's now 7:00 PM and I've spent the day sleeping, making lunch for Desiree and myself, watching some Laguna Beach (lately, we can't get enough of that show, though we spend the whole episode complaining to each other about how dumb the cast members are acting), purging my closet of the clothes I haven't worn in awhile (inspired by this blog - she also converted me to hand washing the clothes I really care about - what a woman!) and doing laundry.  I've heard wind now and then and as far as I know, it has yet to rain.  Some typhoon, indeed.

The pictures are from a few weeks ago on a rainy evening - they show the view from my bedroom window.  I'm a little obsessed with the mist that rises from the mountains when it's really humid.


No comments:

Post a Comment